Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Starting Again

I'm starting this blog to share my experiences as I start my life over. I am a Left leg above the knee Amputee due to the choices of another. I started this odyssey May 25th 2003 at 4:30 am when I was hit by a drunk driver in Arizona. My left leg was amputated above the knee at the scene my Pelvis was cracked, my Ischium was ripped out the end of my leg, the radius and ulna of my left arm were cracked, and the 2nd and 3rd metacarpals in my left hand that have never healed right, and various internal injuries. I will get into the stages I went through in my recovery, but let it suffice for the present that since the Tuesday after Christmas I have been learning to walk again thanks to a wonderful invention by my friend Joe Schrader. www.legsim.net I have been learning to balance myself on the Leg Sim. Today I walked again with my Physical Therapist who I will call "J" at the VA Hospital in Des Moines Ia. While there we met the new Prosthetics director for the VA Hospital in Iowa City Ia. and we demonstrated the Leg Sim and even though I was already exhausted I impressed Her (well the Leg Sim did) So I hope that you will follow my progress or lack of, and maybe be entertained from time to time.
Happy Feet Everybody
Stumpy

1 comment:

  1. Awesome, thanks for sharing. We take our health for granted sometimes.
    You are amazing! if you were not as strong as you are you would have not survived.
    And with the support of your wonderful family you progressed so much.
    And I will repeat myself once again: When people choose to drink and drive it isn't only their lives they put in danger!
    and again: It's not a matter of not getting caught, it is the consequences of your decisions which affect other people's lives.

    ReplyDelete